Just before I leave the airport, Hanoi, Vietnam.
Strange feeling ran through my head. It was just like yesterday when I landed at Hanoi. The temperature was 13 degree celsius. My first flight abroad had just ended. A land that I can only know from the television screen appeared right in front of me. 13 degree celsius is too cold for tropical creature like me, 2 layers of clothes is too thin to cover my shivering body. Sin Chao, Vietnam!
Vietnam is a totally different world from Malaysia. Motorcycles rule the road, left hand drive and everyone is wearing sweaters. But yet the warm hospitality made me feel very comfortable.
The most unforgettable experience was to walk across heavy traffic without fear. I could have died a thousand times doing that in Malaysia. It was super duper scary at first but then culture integration makes me braver and braver till I can cross the busy streets on my own.
Eating on the streets was a special way to integrate yourself with Vietnam. Cold weather, a bowl of warm sticky rice with a cup of hot Vietnamese green tea, watching people carrying big stakes of goods on their bikes. And they honked a lot. When I say a lot, I really mean it. It's the best morning call even though my room was 17 storeys away from the 6a.m. street.
Ha Long Bay remains as mystery, a piece of untouched land, so peaceful, so pure, blessed with nature's touch. Simple amazing. It really deserves its place as one of the 7 natural wonders of the world and UNESCO Natural World Heritage Site.
These experiences couldn't be the same without the incredible 27 friends. Different culture, different background but fused harmoniously under one roof.
---
"Dear Passengers, we are reaching Kuala Lumpur International Airport soon..." I looked out, it's the familiar sunshine that I've been bathing with for 22 years, warm. Yes, it's home. I had promised not to cry. At least not in front of my 27 incredible friends. OK, just 2 drops of joy and cheers to mark an ending to this wonderful journey. (Probably because Eddie was crying harder next to me)
These few days have been awesome. I love Vietnam, the people, the food, the culture and most importantly the friendship.
Cam on, Hitachi.
No comments:
Post a Comment